Monday, February 16, 2015

Getting back to off-cam flash

It was 2009 when I was first introduced to off-cam flash photography. At that time, I was using a Nikon D70s, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, and Nissin Di622. I stumbled upon David Hobby's site about off-cam flashes and got excited with the whole new idea of controlling the light. I bought an affordable light stand and umbrella from Tayhua and got myself a basic strobist kit for a little less than $60.

I tried it and I was able to come up with some photos, most of which were already deleted. I found two photos though, which I shot sometime in 2009-2010 using one flash only (Nissin Di662, D70s, and 18-55mm).



And just this year, after having sold my photography stuff years ago, I bought a myself a new 40" umbrella and 2 pieces of 9 ft light stand. Took some shots last January 23rd with my friends while they were drinking.



Uncle Raul with my former bandmates Rica and Mike. Shot using Nikon D7000, Tamron 17-50mm with Nikon SB-900 and Yong Nuo 560II on 9 ft sticks.


Later on, I asked my sister to help me do some test shots:

Abby. Shot using D7000, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D, SB 900 Reflective umbrella 45 degrees left and YN 560II bare 30 degrees placed right side behind the subject.

I'm amazed at the beauty of what off-cam light can produce. I know I'm back to square one because I stopped doing this for about 6 years (wow! can't believe it was that long!) and I have a lot to cover but I'm excited and I can't wait to shoot again!

I'll be posting new projects as I continue to explore and run with lights!

In the meantime, here are some shots I took last week on the 7th of February.

RJ. SB 900 reflective umbrella closed down to produce a "poorman's softbox", using D7000 17-50mm.

Mike. SB 900 can't remember if it was a shoot-through or reflective though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment